Monday, February 28, 2011

Roscoe #3750 Day Two (and Morning Three)


Yesterday started out well, it would seem to me that Mr. Roscoe likes to sleep in or is used to someone with a working schedule. He went out when I got him up, ate, went out again, and went back into his crate to sleep... I wasn't feeling very well, so most of my morning was spent on the couch with my pups. (Roscoe came out when he realized I wasn't crating them). Some times I wish I had 'Go-Go-Gadget Arms' so that when they all pile up so cute together with me I could take pictures. The three of use were very lazy for most of the morning. I needed some cuddly nap time, and they were just the medication for me.

Nap time had to end sometime, and I am not rich enough to afford a maid, so I had to get off my duff. I even left all three to roam while I cleaned... Cold dog noses sniffing my rear while scrubbing, reminded me why I normally crate them... On the plus side, Roscoe wasn't even fazed by the floor scrubber OR the vacuum. Of course, they would all get up close to sniff it and run away, and then come up and sniff and run and sniff... I had to laugh.

Dahnke and Roscoe like to lay on the floor and guard the bathroom door while I'm in there. My bathroom isn't very big, so it's an interesting squeeze. I try to shoo them out, but Dahnke just opens the door and lets herself (and Roscoe now) back in. So I gave up, I need to remind myself to lock the door.

Roscoe got his first dose of Panacur yesterday morning, and the second this morning for the hookworms. Tomorrow will be the last dose for a month and then he will have three more daily doses and be done. But since I've had some questions in the groups about hookworm, here's some more information:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/infectious-parasitic/c_multi_ancylostomiasis

http://www.petsandparasites.org/dog-owners/hookworms.html

Basically, I can't stress enough the importance of picking up after your animals. Hookworm is an intestinal parasite that gets into animals (yes, even humans) via ingestion or through the skin (yes, even unbroken skin). The eggs are released in the excrement and if the conditions are right, within 24 hours there are young larvae in your yard waiting on their next victim. Once into a host, they travel to the digestive tract (primarily the smaller intestine) and they attach themselves to the intestinal wall and suck blood. According to my research, about 300 of these suckers can cause about 10% blood loss in a medium sized adult dog. The symptoms include pale lips, gums, and ears; diarrhea, vomiting.... But every dog is different. There are also HW preventatives that treat other worms and parasites too (including hookworm), but you should have your vet run fecal tests 1-2 times a year.

I've been taking Roscoe to a part of the yard that my two can't go into and cleaning it up right away. This, the Panacur for him, and the Revolution I keep my pups on is sufficient treatment and prevention. I might take this diagnosis lightly, but it's only because it was caught early, and that I'm already taking preventative steps and treating. Gone untreated this can become a very serious problem. If you have any questions, you should talk to your veterinarian. 

No comments:

Post a Comment